- There are things that can aggravate depression. It is a good idea to avoid substances that do that. Some of these would include: caffeine, coffee, cola, chocolate so have a maximum of 1 cup of soda a day, preferably none. Another thing to look out for is nicotine, preservatives, salt and meat hormones
- Avoid and reduce stressful eating habits like eating on the run, eating too fast or too much.
- Reduce sugar and check for food allergies.
- Drink water throughout the day. 6 8oz glasses of pure water every day.
- Increase the number of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Supplements – Vitamin B6 is a necessary building block for the brain chemical serotonin. (People with depression often find serotonin deficiencies so consider taking a vitamin B complex.
TIPS OF SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER
- Get outside and feel the warm sun on your skin.
- Sit near windows where possible.
- Have a regular sleep/wake cycle
- During daytime hours arrange for field trips outside.
- Try putting your lights on a timer that are set to 1/2 hour before you awaken.
- Purchase light bulbs that mimic the natural spectrum of sunlight and spend lunch etc under them.
- Make major life changes in the spring when there is more sunshine available. Postpone big decisions until Spring where possible.
- Vacation in a warm, sunny location during the Winter.