Exercise, Fitness & Working out:
Benefits: If exercise could be put in a pill and bottled everyone would probably buy it because the benefits are so enormous.
- Reduced skeletal muscle tension
- More rapid metabolism of adrenalin, thyroxin, and endorphins (which can improve your mood)
- Discharge of pent-up frustration (which can reduce anxiety)
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Decreased blood pressure
- Increased subjective feelings of well-being
- Reduced dependence on drugs and alcohol
- Better sleep
- Increased self-esteem
- Improved concentration and memory
Symptoms of being out of shape: being out of breath when walking up a flight of stairs, feeling exhausted after a short period of exertion, muscle tension, obesity, general tiredness.
Starting an exercise program:
“I don’t have enough time.”
- Consult with a physician if you have any physical problems that could be exacerbated.
- Choose an exercise (jogging, brisk walking, swimming, weight lifting, tennis racquetball, baseball, softball, basketball, bowling, dancing, roller skating, yoga).
- Start easy on yourself (10 min. every other day for the first week, add 5 min. each week until you reach 30 min.
- Give yourself a one-month trial period.
- Keep a record of your daily exercise practice (Star Chart).
- Expect some minor discomfort.
- Reward yourself.
- Warm up.
Banana’s and orange juice help sore muscles. (bananas are high in potassium).
- Avoid exercising within 90 min of a meal.
The Ideal Exercise to Combat Depression: Aerobic 2-4 times per week, 20-30 minutes per session.
Ideas for working out: T-tapp has a cool 15 minute t-tapp workout, people with chronic fatigue often feel tired with working out but this 15 minute workout doesn’t tire me. T-tapp is what models use. Kettlebells can be a lot of fun. 5 Rhythms, as described by the book SWEAT YOUR PRAYERS is a form of improvised movement, beginning with FLOWING, STACCATO, CHAOS, LYRICAL THEN STILLNESS RHYTHMS. What type of exercise are you going to put into your RSR (rapid symptom reduction) star chart this week? Write it down.